[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Rodgers <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>
 To:  KB 80 <kb80 at linuxmail dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using m0n0wall on a Nokia IP110
 Date:  Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:19:26 -0500
it's pretty simple if you have a few simple tools and are not afraid to
crack the nokia open. Otherwise you will be left trying to netboot and
install the stupid thing.

Get yourself a torx screwdriver set and unscrew the 4 screws on the
bottom. The top should pull off and you can see the motherboard.

It might pull off a little hard but you should not break it ... there
is just a little bit of sticky tape around the lip.

Now you'll have to lift the motherboard out and unscrew the screws
that hold in the hard drive (it will be a 6-12 gig laptop drive)

the hard drive will pull out just pull it away from the connector

Here is where the tools come in

for +-$5US you can get a laptop to 3.5" hard disk adapter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31531&item=6709329489&rd=1

You plug the laptop hard disk into the adapter and plug it into a free
ide channel on a computer and use the regular procedure to write the
m0n0 image to it.

Optionally you can choose to swap out the hard drive for something solid
state.

I chose a silicon tech solid state flash drive because it was cheap
and was already a 2.5" laptop drive form factor

This is an 800mb model
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51076&item=5124313195&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The 64 megabyte models can be had for between $10-$30 on the internet
these days.

you could also use a cf to 2.5" ide adapter like this to replace the
hard drive
http://www.acscontrol.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACS&Product_Code=ACS-CF-IDEToCFA-SFF&Category_Code=COMPACT_FLASH

so you can use a standard CF card for you installation.

Anyway I hope this helps

David

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 11:50, KB 80 wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance but I am curious as to the steps to get m0n0wall running on a Nokia IP110.  I
currently have it running on a soekris box but recently aquired this IP110 from old stock at work.
Can I use the 5GB hard disk that comes with this unit?  Or must I use a IDE>CF kit?  Also I am
assuming I can use the Generic PC image.  Currently I've taken the 5GB disk and attached it to my
USB 2.5 enclosure from which I imaged the disk with the generic image, however I'm not sure if this
is the correct procedure or not with the Nokia's.