[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Gwyn Evans <gwyn dot evans at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Variation on "Add a print server?" :-)
 Date:  Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:56:32 +0100
Hi,
  I'm looking for any pointers to any solutions that provide a router
& print server capability based on a m0n0wall-type setup.  I did a
search through the archives & there were suggestions of an off-list
effort back in Jan, but nothing that seemed to suggest any specific
pointers.

  My network config is such that I have a ADSL router with firewall on
the ground floor, connected to a WiFi access point, with my home
office wired network on the floor above.  I normally use a Linux
server box to connect the soho net to the AP via a WiFi card, but have
on occasion used a m0n0wall CD to boot an old laptop and have that
handle the connection when I've wanted to tweak the routing or
rebuilding the linux box, etc.  The m0n0wall has the advantage that
the laptop HD spins down, so becomes silent, which is nice!

  Anyway, in this senario I don't really use the security part of the
m0n0wall, although the routing, etc, is of interest.  Due to a recent
problem with my old networked laser printer, I'm now looking to see if
there is a similar CD-boot based print-server solution anywhere.

  The ideal for me would be a m0n0wall with print server, but I'm not
advocating that change as my setup, although not at all unique, would
not be the general case.  However, the reason I'm posting here is that
the searches did suggest an intention to produce a network server
based on the architechture, so if anyone's got any suggestions, please
let me know?

Gwyn