[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  andyiowalist at mchsi dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Configuring multiple LAN cards (3 of them)
 Date:  Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:35:18 -0400
andyiowalist at mchsi dot com wrote:

>I am attempting to configure m0n0wall on a custom router with multiple
>NICs (3).  2 fast ethernet and one gigabit with jumbo frames activated
>(9014 MTU) 1 fast ethernet is the WAN link, the other is the OPT1 link.
>the gigabit link is LAN link. I am bridging LAN and OPT1
>
>In the xml config file.  I have a shell command of "/sbin/ifconfig em0
>mtu 9014" which is the proper syntax to set the Intel card to 9014 MTU.
>
>Right off the bat, does anyone see any issues and problems with what I
>am doing?  Is this even possible?
>I'm trying to do this right now and I am getting very poor results.
>Even my fast ethernet transfers max out at around 6MBps.
>gigabit->gigabit transfers also max out to about 6MBps.
>
>Thanks
>Andy

Since you are using only 1 gigabit card in the router, there is no way
you're going to get gigabit transfers through the router.  Plus, you're
making the router take the huge packets, and slice them down to then go
through the 2 fast ethernet cards.  I think you're really making more
work for the router with your config.

Also, you didn't give the specs of the rest of the hardware.  Maybe the
hardware you are using just isn't capable of pushing packets through any
faster than 6MBps.  Theoretically, a fast ethernet card can push through
12.5MBps max, but with overhead you'd never see that much.  So, the 6
you are seeing is better than half the maximum.

I'm interested in your statement "gigabit->gigabit transfer also max out
to about 6MPps."  If you only have 1 gigabit card in the router, how are
you measuring a gigabit to gigabit transfer?  If you're measuring it on
the local LAN that happens to be connected to that card, don't blame the
router, it has nothing to do with transfers from one computer to another
on the same LAN.

HTH

Chris