[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'Fantuzzi SAS'" <fantuzzilorenzo at tuttopmi dot it>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Static public IP, m0n0 and terminal server
 Date:  Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:52:38 -0400
First of all - *NEVER* give out real public IPs. Just good practice to
obscure the IP (use x.y.z.208 for example) when communicating to a list. I'm
a good guy, I cannot speak for everyone who receive mail from the list. I
want to think that everyone is a good guy, but that would be naive. Off the
soap box on to the questions...

Assuming that the subnet information you gave is correct (does not make
sense to me - see below) and your router is .208. You are correct on
assigning .209 with a /32 subnet to the WAN interface of your m0n0wall using
.208 as your gateway.

I would use Server NAT, this allows additional External IPs in inbound NAT.
Then set a inbound NAT for an external IP to port 3389 on the Win2003
Internal IP (this would need to be static). Don't forget to auto-create
firewall rule! ;-) You could also add any other inbound traffic you need for
the server - SMTP, DNS, HTTP, HTTPS, etc.

I believe that your config is the type that needs Proxy ARP. I would set it
for the range .210-.212. I don't think you have a "subnet routed to you" as
standard subnetting rules do not allow the range you specify. With a 28, 29,
or 30 bit mask (last octet of mask is 240, 248, 252 respectively) the IP
ending with .208 turns out to be a network ID (i.e. cannot use). Then again
you know this, you did state that you have 32 bit masks for the IPs supplied
by your provider.

As always, if I am incorrect - someone correct me...

James W. McKeand