[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Twig <twig at gwi dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  PPPoE Half Bridge
 Date:  Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:20:15 -0400
Back in the hay day of ISDN 'broadband' PPP was the connection protocol
of choice.  Static IP assignments, along with subnet allocations both
were handled easily by ISDN TA/Routers of the time using what was
termed 'PPP Half Bridging.'

Specifically I could setup a radius connection profile with the
following:

Puser		Prefix = "P"
			Framed-IP-Address = 192.168.1.1,
			Framed-Route = "192.168.1.0/24 192.168.1.1 1"

'user' would dial in, and PPP would hand out 192.168.1.1 as the IP
address of the PPP connection.  The TA/Router would then half bridge
that IP to the WAN interface.  That in combination with the route would
allow 'user' to use ip's within the subnet directly on his WAN facing
equipment, without setting up forwards, etc.

Zyxel was the best at this from my own personal experience.

There is no reason this shouldn't work with PPPoE as well, but I cannot
find a reasonable cost broadband router that can do this.  Even Zyxel
has failed to impliment it on their ADSL gear.  It seems current soho
broadband routers (Other than m0n0)	think home users recieve only 1 ip
ever, and NAT should always be used, period.

If one wants to spend for a Cisco 830 class unit, you can find the
functionality I'm describing, but most people aren't keen on spending
$400 to $500 for a small router.

I'm hoping that m0n0 can duplicate this functionality so I can
recommend something far more cost effective like a sokeris box for
PPPoE subnet scenarios.

I'm not in the best posistion to ask for something as I can't supply
much code to back up my request, but I can perform testing against
commercial DSL gear to validate ideas and provide feedback.

Where should I start poking to get this functionality working?

Joshua Coombs