[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sai <list at ebs dot net dot pk>
 To:  Axel Eble <axel dot eble at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] how to ?
 Date:  Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:27:37 +0500
Axel Eble wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:16:11 +0500, sai <list at ebs dot net dot pk> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I am running m0n0 generic-PC version and its great. I now want to add
>>some more functionality. First thing that comes to mind is web cacheing
>>with Squid. I have started by making simple changes to the m0n0 image
>>and uploading them back. However I don't really know how to proceed.
>>

>There's an FAQ about this. Read the doc wiki at http://wiki.m0n0.ch/
>
>However, apart from the hard disk requirement other people mentioned
>I'd like to point out that a firewall is a firewall is a firewall is a
>firewall. Web caching is not something a firewall should do in my
>book.

The purist in me agrees with you. Certainly I would draw the line and
would certainly not want, say, a mail server, on my firewall. However I
would suspect that web caching does not present the sort of security
problems that other servers might bring up. With the sort of power even
low end processors have now, it makes some sense to do this.

sai