[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] vlan switch recommendation
 Date:  Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:03:21 -0400
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:53:58 -0600, Dave Warren
<maillist at devilsplayground dot net> wrote:
> Phil Carinhas wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:32:43PM +0200, Stefan Thuering wrote:
> >

> >>I'm looking for a low cost vlan capable switch (5 10/100 ports are
> >>enough) that works with m0n0wall. I'm watching ebay etc. for 2nd hand
> >>office switches, which models/features should I be looking for (3com
> >>3300, cisco 1900...)?

Cisco 1900 is only 10 Mb.  A Cisco 2924 (10/100) is going to cost you
a little bit, but will certainly work very well.  They go for about
$300 USD on ebay.  I was shocked to see they still go for that much -
I bought one a couple years ago for my home network for that same
price.

You can get a Cisco 2912, same switch with 12 ports rather than 24,
for about $200 USD. Unless you're absolutely sure you'll never need
more than 12 ports, I'd spend the extra $100 for twice the ports.

There are likely some 3Com, HP, and other vendors with similar
features for less money, but I'm not familiar enough with any vendors
other than Cisco to tell you that for sure.

-Chris