[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  brwatters at abs dash internet dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Preferred Hardware list for m0n0wall ..
 Date:  Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:59:24 -0400
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:16:27 -0700, Brian Watters
<brwatters at abs dash internet dot com> wrote:

> We need to get some feedback from the list on preferred hardware .. This of
> course would be a list of hardware that's available to normal humans (i.e.
> CompUSA).
>
> First we need to use a USB ETH adaptor on our LAN, which one to use ?

USB networking is horribly slow - I'd stay away from it if at all
possible.  USB 2.0 might be ok, but I haven't tried it.

I haven't tried any USB NIC's on m0n0wall, but I have a couple of
them.  The drivers are there.  I'll give it a shot and add to the
hardware list I'm working on.

> We need to install a Wireless PCI card that hopefully supports both B & G ..
> Which one works for sure? ..
>
> Please do not point me to the online BSD list of approved hardware as I have
> already looked it over and find that most model numbers there do not match
> up with current offerings of hardware.

It's certainly a legitamate question.  I'm tired of people asking this
question, and just as tired of them getting pointed to the FreeBSD
hardware list.  m0n0wall does not include every single FreeBSD driver
(though close to all) and some things, even if "supported" on FreeBSD,
are problematic.

I'm working on a list, but haven't gotten too far yet.  Unfortunately,
most of the network part is pasted from FreeBSD.  This list is here
for now:  http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=CompatibleHardware

I'm going to peruse the list archives and ask the list for feedback
and hopefully we can get something good together.

-Chris