[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Brian Watters <brwatters at abs dash internet dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Preferred Hardware list for m0n0wall ..
 Date:  Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:10:26 -0400
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:24:21 -0700, Brian Watters
<brwatters at abs dash internet dot com> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Thanks for your feedback .. We have issues here with 1U servers that only
> have one onboard ETH and one PCI slot .. Of course USB is onboard as well ..
> The problem is that if one wants to run Wireless plus a LAN (ETH) we have
> but one choice .. Wireless USB or USB ETH .. Any help from the list would be
> great ..

Do the servers support USB 2.0?  If not, no point in using anything
other than 802.11b.  USB 1.x is only 12 Mb max, though in practice and
my experience, more like 5-8 Mb max (see the transfer rates of
virutally every USB 1.x device, that's about what they are).  You
won't even get the full throughput of 802.11b, much less ethernet,
over USB 1.x.

You'd be lucky to push more than 600 KBytes a sec through USB
anything.  This is from my experience with FreeBSD and USB NIC's.

They wouldn't happen to have miniPCI slots onboard would they?
Probably not, but a miniPCI device would work well.

If there are no miniPCI onboard, check into a miniPCI -> PCI adapter.
There is one on this page that has 4 miniPCI slots on one PCI slot.
http://www.mikrotik.com/interfaces.php

3Com makes miniPCI Ethernet cards that will work fine, though I'm
having a hard time finding one individually (they're generally in
laptops, and I've used them successfully with FreeBSD before using
drivers that m0n0wall has).  You can probably find one if you look a
little.

There are a number of miniPCI wireless cards that will work.  802.11b
only, the atheros driver required for G is only in FreeBSD 5.x,
m0n0wall is on 4.x.

I have the "KIT-MP1-5-DUAL" from this page and it works great -
http://netgate.com/soekris.html  (they're kits for Soekris boards, but
will work in any miniPCI implementation)

-Chris