[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Brian Watters <brwatters at abs dash internet dot com>, Monowall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Preferred Hardware list for m0n0wall ..
 Date:  Mon, 27 Sep 2004 03:20:58 -0400
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:54:20 -0700, Brian Watters
<brwatters at abs dash internet dot com> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Yes they all support USB v2 .. So I am thinking if I can come up with a
> supported Wireless PCI NIC and a good USB v2 Ethernet NIC I will be good to
> go??

The Linksys WUSB12 uses the Prism chipset and should be supported by
the wi driver which is included in m0n0wall.  I wouldn't use that as
an access point though, without a good antenna the range would be
horrible.  (5 feet maybe, without a big antenna on the other end).
I'm not aware of any USB adapter that supports an antenna.

The D-Link DUBE100, Linksys USB200M, Netgear FA120, amongst other USB
2.0 10/100 ethernet cards are supported in FreeBSD under the axe
driver, but that's only found in FreeBSD 5.x and m0n0wall is on 4.10.
I'm not aware of any USB 2.0 NIC's that have a different chipset that
would be supported.

The older Linksys USB NIC's are supported, but are only USB 1.1, and
would be way too slow for serious production use.  Even the new
Linksys USB100M USB 1.1 NIC isn't supported until FreeBSD 5.x.  You'll
have to pick up one of the older Linksys models on ebay or somewhere.
Here is one I know will work with FreeBSD, but it's slow (500 KB/sec
tops, ~3 ms latency on LAN connection where a NIC is less than 0.5
ms).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45002&item=5722488278&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
(disclaimer: not affiliated with seller in any way - just the first
one I found)

I have a card exactly like that one and have used it on FreeBSD in the
past with drivers included in m0n0wall - never on m0n0wall
specifically, though it shouldn't matter.

So I guess my answer is there isn't a good answer at this point, other
than a multiple miniPCI -> PCI adapter.  Using a multi-port PCI NIC
like the Intel quad ports and an external AP would be the best
solution.  When m0n0wall is moved to FreeBSD 5.x (don't ask when,
search the list archives for Manuel's explanation), then it will
likely be feasible to use one of the USB 2.0 NIC's and a PCI wireless
card.

-Chris