[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Stengel <jesse at ece dot arizona dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Having an odd problem with filtered bridging
 Date:  Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:00:34 -0700 (MST)
I have just setup a m0n0wall box and am toying with it and have
encountered an odd and seemingly inexplicable problem in filtered bridging
mode. I have two hosts behind the m0n0wall and both pass traffic in and
out fine. However, only one is being affected by the traffic rules, the
other passess all traffic both directions. I can confirm the first host is
affected by changing the rules and seeing the changes in port scans, but
no change in rules has any affect on the other host. Both hosts are on a
VLAN seperate from the Internet connection and so must be passing through
the m0n0wall to get any traffic (confrimed by checking the config on the
switch and by unplugging the m0n0wall).

Here is the setup:

The WAN interface on the monowall is set to x.x.x.107 with a /24 subnet
and x.x.x.1 as it's default gateway. It is connected to VLAN 1 with the
DSL connection to the ISP. The OPT1 interface is bridged to WAN, and
filtering mode is enabled. The two hosts are x.x.x.11 and x.x.x.114. The
hosts and OPT1 are connected to VLAN 2 and are the only devices on it.
Host 11 is filtered fine, and all rules apply to it properly. Host 114 is
not filtered at all, and all rules seem to have no affect.

I cannot figure out what the reason for this and would appreciate any
insight. My only theory is that 11 is less than the m0n0wall's IP (107)
and 114 is greater, though I fail to see why that would have any effect.

I appologise if this has been asked before, I couldn't find any reference
to a problem like this in the docs or archives. I appreciate any help or
insights you can give.

--Jesse