[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  zealot <zealot at tradersguild dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Odd problem with Vonage
 Date:  Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:45:59 -0500
Edward Saipetch wrote:

> For some reason after a day or two of the Vonage line working (i.e. dial
> tone) it will stop working and there will be no dial tone. The first

Ed,

Assuming your Cisco ATA is behind your m0n0wall device, enable port
forwarding on m0n0wall to the Cisco ATA on at least ports 5060-5061
(UDP). A quote from Vonage's knowledge base explains
(http://www.vonage.ca/help_knowledgeBase_article.php?article=152):

     Vonage Service through a Firewall

     A firewall is system designed to block unwanted network traffic
     going in and/or out of your home or office network. Some popular
     brand routers have firewall options built in. If your network is
     connecting through a firewall, or a router with firewall
     capabilities, it may interfere with the Phone Adapters service.
     If you experience any problems with your Vonage service, and are
     connecting through a firewall, be sure the following ports are
     allowed to and from the phone adapter.

     Phone Adapters Internet ports:

         * SIP ports 5060 through 5061 using UDP protocol
         * NTP port 123 using UDP protocol
         * TFTP port 69 using UDP protocol
         * DNS port 53 using UDP protocol
         * RTP ports 10,000 through 20,000 using UDP protocol

     Since each firewall may be designed differently, please consult
     firewall owners manual for further information.

I would begin by forwarding ports 5060-5061 to see if outbound and
inbound calls work. I don't see the need to open up the other ports, by
default, as described by Vonage's knowledge base article. However,
continue to experiment until things work as you would expect them to
with your Vonage service.