[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  brwatters at abs dash internet dot com, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Preferred Hardware list for m0n0wall ..
 Date:  Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:54:22 -0700
If memory serves me right, Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:16:27 -0700, Brian Watters
> <brwatters at abs dash internet dot com> wrote:

> > Please do not point me to the online BSD list of approved hardware as I have
> > already looked it over and find that most model numbers there do not match
> > up with current offerings of hardware.
>
> It's certainly a legitamate question.  I'm tired of people asking this
> question, and just as tired of them getting pointed to the FreeBSD
> hardware list.  m0n0wall does not include every single FreeBSD driver
> (though close to all) and some things, even if "supported" on FreeBSD,
> are problematic.

If you come up with some changes you think would be useful to the
FreeBSD project in general, I highly recommend that you feed them back
to the FreeBSD Documentation Project in the form of a documentation
PR, or just send a note to freebsd-doc at freebsd dot org.  This will
improve the quality of the FreeBSD documentation, and will probably
help you maintain your own hardware compatibility list.

Also note that a couple of hardy souls have drastically revamped the
hardware list for FreeBSD 5.X and 6.X, which is now generated from the
manpages.  This greatly improves the chances that the hardware list
for future revisions will stay in sync with reality.

Bruce.