[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Preferred Hardware list for m0n0wall ..
 Date:  Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:27:06 +0100
> Thanks for your feedback .. We have issues here with 1U
> servers that only have one onboard ETH and one PCI slot .. Of
> course USB is onboard as well ..
> The problem is that if one wants to run Wireless plus a LAN
> (ETH) we have but one choice .. Wireless USB or USB ETH ..
> Any help from the list would be great ..

Have you considered getting an Intel dual or quad port Pro/100+ card (uses
the standard 8255x driver, just multiple interfaces), then using an external
wireless access point? If you're rackmounting this stuff you may find that
using a PCI WLAN card will give you a *seriously* restricted signal
depending on the thickness of your cabinets. Personally I'd go with an
external AP and shove it on top of the cabinet. That'd give you better
coverage and solve the 1 PCI slot issue. Most 11g access points released in
the last year or two support RADIUS authentication from an external server,
just like m0n0wall, and you can still use the captive portal on the AP
interface. Just use a crossover cable from the NIC to the AP and have
nothing else on the subnet.

Hope that helps you somewhat.

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579