[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Axel Eble" <axel dot eble at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Captive with IMAP
 Date:  Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:24:31 -0700
> > If IMAP support isn't added - I would say LDAP and MySQL should be
> > added..  But even with all 3, IMAP really seems more useful for a large
> > number of scenarios.. Even if it's not really an authentication
> protocol.
>
> *If* anything should be added, it should be LDAP. It's easy enough
> since it's built into PHP. Granted, IMAP is as well, but as has been
> said before: it's not an authentication protocol. And, really, there
> aren't that many of those kind out there. Mainly RADIUS and LDAP.
>
> As to MySQL - how should that work on an embedded system? Where would
> you like to have the database?

I think the thing people keep forgetting is the REAL USER. Again, not my
personal problem, but the coffee shop owner who wants to grant users access
for an hour while they drink coffee MIGHT not want to hire a geek, buy a
server, configure a Radius or LDAP server and so on. It's easier to buy a
linksys and sign up with boingo.

m/