[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Jim Gifford <baadpuppy at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Pay for a new function?
 Date:  Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:43:19 -0400
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:45:19 -0400, Jim Gifford <baadpuppy at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I've personally never experienced this problem.  What brands of
> switches exhibit this broken behavior?
>
> I've tested VLANs on some models of Cisco and on the summit and alpine
> models of Extreme switches and never saw traffic I shouldn't have.
>
> I would love to know which switches do this wrong so I don't make the
> mistake of buying one.

I've also never seen this problem.  Of course if the VLAN's aren't
configured right, that'll happen no matter what switch you're using.
:)  I'd say misconfiguration is far more likely than a problem in the
switch itself causing that, at least from what I've seen.

Presentation on layer 2 security from Cisco here -
http://www.cisco.com/security_services/ciag/documents/bh-us-02-convery-switches.pdf
Some interesting stuff in there.

-Chris