[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Bryce Kerley <bryce at bonzoesc dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Poor pings and webGUI responsiveness
 Date:  Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:30:21 -0400
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:54:30 -0400, Bryce Kerley <bryce at bonzoesc dot net> wrote:
> I run m0n0wall on an IBM Personal Computer 330 with a Pentium 166 CPU, 64MB
> of RAM, and two PCI network cards, a 10-Base-T card of unknown origin on the
> red network, and a D-Link DFE 530tx on the green network.  As it stands, I
> get a ping of over 300 to game servers, while a roommate on a different
> outlet (dorm network) pings below 100 to the same server (uses software
> firewall).  Is this due to my poor-quality network cards, the slow machine,
> or a possible issue with m0n0wall?

Sounds like a network card issue, given your description of the
hardware.  That machine is more than adequate for your purposes.  I'd
pick up however many Intel NIC's you need and replace everything you
have in there.  They're cheap (can probably get three off ebay for $25
USD including shipping, if not less) - it's not worth the frustration
to run junk network cards, even if that turns out not to be the cause
of your problem.

-Chris