[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Routing problem, Can't get beyond ISP's net.
 Date:  Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:30:16 -0700 (PDT)
I strongly suspect that my question is a result of my failure to
understand routing and networks, and is not specific to m0n0.  However, I
will ask here (and as an excuse, I'll put a little m0n0 question in at the
end).

I have m0n0wall successfully installed on a Soekris net4501.
Installation was easier than I'd anticipated (the problems were finding a
null modem serial cable, and one very stubborn screw to open the net4501).

For the moment, I am trying to do something very simple with it.  It's on
a small private network which connects to the world via a DSL modem
(static IP).  For starters I want simple NAT functions and DHCP services.
At this point, I'm just trying to replace my Linksys BEFSR41.

The problem appears that from my LAN and from the m0n0 itself, I can reach
(a) my gateway provided by my ISP.  (b) my ISP's nameservers, and other
things that are on that router's local net.  But I can't get passed my
ISP's external router.

I do not have these problems when using the Linksys.  If there is some
basic tutorial I should read please point me towards it.

BTW: If traceroute had been available along with ping as a diagnostic
tool, I would have gotten to this point a bit sooner.  So, that is one
feature request.

Cheers,

-j

--