[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark dot org>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ADSL Public IP on WAN Interface
 Date:  Sat, 2 Oct 2004 19:27:19 -0700
On Oct 2, 2004, at 3:20 PM, Adam Wilks wrote:

> I am considering some of the devices recommended by various people,

Let me add that I am using something called a "Speedstream 5100".  It
was provided by my ISP.  I've never had any problems with it.  But I
know nothing else about it.

> Would I be correct in assuming that any such implementation would
> require my ISP to allow 2x IP addresses to be assigned, that is, one
> for
> my bridge device and one for my m0n0?

You are incorrect.  The modem acts, as you say, like bridge.  It has no
IP address on either side.  So the WAN side of your m0n0wall would take
the IP address assigned to you by your ISP.  You only need that one IP
address.

-j