[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 To:  "'m0n0wall'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Some network configuration help
 Date:  Sat, 2 Oct 2004 19:44:26 -0700
Hello.

I have a couple of issues and questions.  First, I am providing
internet access to some condominiums. I am giving IP's via DHCP
provided from the m0n0 LAN port.

However I will have to give public IPs to a couple of machines and have
8 IP's assigned to me (I don't have a routed subnet).

My IP's are xxx.xxx.176.88/24 to xxx.xxx.176.92/24.

mono (soekris 4501) is configured like this
WAN xxx.xxx.176.88/24
LAN 192.168.5.1/24
OPT1 not configured

ISP---(bridged)--DSL modem---(xx.xx.176.88/24)-----Mono--(
lan192.168.5.1/24)-------switch------------custormers

I would like to figure out the best way to
1) Provide NAT'd IP's ( think what I am doing is fine)
2) Provide public IP addresses to some customers (1:1 or snat?)
3) Be able to view the DSL Modem statistics by going to web
configuration page (192.168.1.1)
	- DSL Modem is bridged, but can be reached via 192.168.1.1 on ethernet
port.
4) What if anything should I use OPT1/DMZ for?

I don't provide any e-mail services etc. I just let my ISP provide all
of that. Most of the residents are students who have their own e-mail
addresses etc and have no need for another one. So all I need to do is
provide connectivity.

Thanks!
Aaron

P.S. If anyone is curious, I am scrapping my 1.1/1.1 SDSL provider in
favor of ADSL. The SDSL has a nasty feature of getting very high ping
times when it is < 50% loaded. Pings will go to 200-400ms to the dsl
gateway even with traffic shaping. The ADSL 3/768 is slower upstream,
but I can pull or push near the max  bandwidth and ping remain fairly
stable.