[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Andrew Greenwood <lists at silverblade dot co dot uk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] A long-shot and crazy idea regarding routers
 Date:  Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:18:35 -0400
On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:16:10 +0100, Andrew Greenwood
<lists at silverblade dot co dot uk> wrote:
> I have a D-Link DSL-500 modem/router, which uses a Helium chip (or
> chipset?). Apparently the CPU comprises of 2 ARM7 processors.
>
> The flash memory appears to be 2MB (16Mbit) large, including boot space.
>
> I've been toying with the idea of making some form of emulator so that I can
> load the firmware and play around with it, and, eventually write my own.
>
> What I'd love to be able to do is load m0n0wall onto it, but it's a bit too
> big. There appears to be a version of GCC capable of compiling
> ARM-compatible binaries, so I don't know if what I'm talking about is
> feasible or just plain stupid.

Not feasible - FreeBSD doesn't support the ARM architecture, and if it
did, you wouldn't be able to fit all of m0n0wall into 2 MB.

http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/index.html

NetBSD does support ARM, but you'd run into the same problem with not
having enough space to fit everything, and I don't know if it would
work with this device specifically.

-Chris