[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bill Minton <billminton at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  hanging after sio1: type 16550A
 Date:  Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:23:49 -0500
It ran through most of the boot process just fine but kept hanging on
whatever comes after the line:

    "sio1:  type 16550A".

The floppy was in the drive and formatted (necessary according to the docs).

I was trying to run it on a 900Mhz P3 on an Asus BTX board.  The board has
onboard ethernet that I know works, and I'd added a PCI NIC to it as well
(one for WAN connection, one for LAN).

I tried two different PCI NIC's but got to the same point w/both.

Another piece of information....I got it to bootup fine once or twice on an
old dual 166Mhz box, so I know the CD is ok.

I tried disabling most of what I could in the BIOS to see if something there
was causing it to hang, and after doing so, the only change was instead of
the last line being:  "sio1:  type 16550A" it hung like this:

sio1:  type 16550A

Not sure wha the "a" is all about.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to pass config info in when booting up.
  It just begins booting on powerup.

Any ideas?