[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam McNeill <adam dot mcneill at gmail dot com>
 To:  K <sfpdswat at yahoo dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Priotitizing packets
 Date:  Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:21:58 -0700
I'm not at home right now, so I can't give exact numbers, but (in order):

Ping time to a local server that yeilds me 10-20ms with 0 traffic
going on and 0 rules applied to m0n0wall.  This is a 6 hop server.

Ping time to yahoo.com /w BT and trafic shaping on: 120-180 (150 average)

With it off, 10-20ms

My upload/download as tested by many different sources is aprox.
260Kb/sec down, and 100Kb/sec up.  I set m0n0wall to 250 and 90.

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:14:33 -0700 (PDT), K <sfpdswat at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Humm you said ping time is high. How high are you
> talking about?
>
> E.g. What's the ping time to www.yahoo.com with Bit
> Torrent and all traffic shaper things turned on?
>
> And what's the ping time to www.yahoo.com with Bit
> Torrent and all traffic shaper things turned OFF????
>
> Two more questions:
> 1. What's the upload/download speed you're told by
> your ISP?
> 2. What's the upload/download speed specified in
> Firewall-->Traffic shaper-->Pipes?
>

> --- Adam McNeill <adam dot mcneill at gmail dot com> wrote:
>
> > I have tried your suggestion with balancing LAN
>

> > usage, still not
> > working very well.  Ping times are consistantly high
> > now, rather than
> > anywhere near low (using magic shaper and P2P low
> > priority along with
> > divide LAN traffic).

Adam McNeill
http://www.rainlab.net