[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Marten <wleiden at xs4all dot nl>
 To:  Vasilis Tsolis <liquid dot spin at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Reduce Tx power
 Date:  Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:16:33 +0200
On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 23:07, Vasilis Tsolis wrote:

> It is very important for many people when they make a wireless router
> for outdoor use to reduce the tx power of an wireless client.
I hope not for security reasons :)

> This happens by an hostap driver...
> I am almost sure that this not possible for now ,but what about the future?
> not in 4.x ( unless you write a patch voor the wi driver)

from man ifconfig in freebsd 5.3 BETA6

txpower power
For IEEE 802.11 wireless interfaces, set the power used to trans-
mit frames.  The power argument is a unitless value in the range
0 to 100 that is interpreted by drivers to derive a device-spe-
cific value.  Out of range values are truncated.  Typically only
a few discreet power settings are available and the driver will
use the setting closest to the specified value.  Not all adaptors
support changing the transmit power.

since 5.3 might be the next stable relaese you need to rewrite the 4.9
driver for monowall and hack it into it. Or wait:
a. next 5.x stable release
b. monowall to actually use this release.