[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vasilis Tsolis <liquid dot spin at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Reduce Tx power
 Date:  Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:24:39 +0300
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:16:33 +0200, Marten <wleiden at xs4all dot nl> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 23:07, Vasilis Tsolis wrote:
>
> > It is very important for many people when they make a wireless router
> > for outdoor use to reduce the tx power of an wireless client.
> I hope not for security reasons :)
>
> > This happens by an hostap driver...
> > I am almost sure that this not possible for now ,but what about the future?
> > not in 4.x ( unless you write a patch voor the wi driver)
>
> from man ifconfig in freebsd 5.3 BETA6
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> txpower power
> For IEEE 802.11 wireless interfaces, set the power used to trans-
> mit frames.  The power argument is a unitless value in the range
> 0 to 100 that is interpreted by drivers to derive a device-spe-
> cific value.  Out of range values are truncated.  Typically only
> a few discreet power settings are available and the driver will
> use the setting closest to the specified value.  Not all adaptors
> support changing the transmit power.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> since 5.3 might be the next stable relaese you need to rewrite the 4.9
> driver for monowall and hack it into it. Or wait:
> a. next 5.x stable release
> b. monowall to actually use this release.
>
> Marten

To be honest ,i dont have any potential to do that.
I searched a little bit and freeBSD 5.3 seems to go out in a month or
so (officially in 2 weeks).
But i realize that m0n0wall doesnt follow the releases of freeBSD so close.
You see, what makes m0n0wall unique is that do support wireless and
the idea of having some wi-fi compoments in such an easy will make
such a diffrence,

I was wondering how could i help.Maybe i could make a poll in my
wireless community what is the most appreciable compoment that
m0n0wall should focus in the wireless section.