[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Curran <lists at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  kasadsyed at alicemail dot fr, 'm0n0wall list' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] bridge building
 Date:  Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:10:24 +0100
Kemal

When I finish off the OpenVPN stuff (currently still debugging, but getting
close) you WILL be able to do this with OpenVPN and a m0n0 at each end.

However, before you leap up and down with excitement let me advise you that
this is a far from sensible thing to do unless you have a lot of bandwidth
between the two m0n0 boxes.  It is considered very poor design to use a
remote bridge (which is what you are describing) because there is a lot of
broadcast traffic on a LAN - especially if you use the default config of
those dreadful Windows boxes that every body insists on using.  All of this
traffic has to be forwarded to the other side and may well disadvantage the
real traffic that you want to send.

Even if you do have a lot of bandwidth (and 'a lot' depends on how much
traffic you really have) OpenVPN has limitations on the size of its buffers
for handling broadcast and multicast packets that may cause stability
problems.

As part of the OpenVPN-on-m0n0 project I am writing some documentation that
describes how to configure the system for different scenarios and I will
document how to do this at that time.

Perhaps if you describe what it is you are trying to do, and why, the list may
be able to come up with a better solution.

Regards

Peter

On Friday 01 October 2004 08:19, kemal asad wrote:
> I may be asking a stupid question so please forgive the ignorant that i
> am.
> i need to create a bridge over internet. i want all the traffic even
> broadcasts to be forwarded through the bridge to the otherside ( so from
> what i understand static route might not do it) . Can i do it with
> Monowall on both side of the bridge. if not please advise on any other
> solution. i currently have two soekriss 48xx . if yes, please let me
> know the iurl of any cookbook on the subject.
> Thanks.
> Kemal

believed to be clean.