[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  William Arlofski <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] List reply-to, and CC choices
 Date:  Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:13:54 -0400
Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
>>Would it be possible for the mailing list owner to switch the reply-to
>>and CC fields on email sent from the list.
>>
>>Currently when clicking "reply" to an email on the list, the reply goes
>>to the sender, rather than to the list. Often, a reply ends up being
>>sent only to the user and because of this, the problem is solved, but
>>the answer never makes it to the list leaving dead ends for future
>>m0n0wall users seeking answers to questions.
>>
>>I think reply-to should be the m0n0wall list, and CC should be the
>>original sender. Am I off base on this line of thinking?
>>
>>Thanks for any input.
>>

> There's always someone unhappy ;-)

hehe   Not really unhappy, just curious. I was initially thinking that
someone had set it up this way accidentally, and was just trying to
offer a different option. My bad I guess. :)

> I think it depends on the list managment software... some add a reply-to
> header making it more effort to send to someone offlist... I've seen some
> that strip the email of the sender to prevent harvesting of addresses... I
> think that's why you see some people Reply-All, and then other people whine
> about multiple copies...
>
> It seem's everyone has a standard they can reference from somewhere...

True. That's why they're called "standards" - Because there are so many
of  them. LOL

> I've stopped caring - and yes - sometimes I top post - I think it's easier
> to read sometimes rather than searching a long document for a "me too".

I used to NEVER top-post... Now it almost seems the norm... So when
someone top-posts, and I quote/bottom post it messes with the
readability so I just give up and follow what others on a list do.

> my two anarchist cents :P

I hear ya.

- -
Bill Arlofski