[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark dot org>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] List reply-to, and CC choices
 Date:  Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:48:21 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Jim Gifford wrote:

> Yes, there are many people still using MS Exchange and Lotus Notes
> that use that stupid stupid stupid out of office broken crap.  Then
> there are the people that love 'vacation'.

Those who've run up against this might like to see my rant

   http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/auto-resp/

> Also, most mail clients should be able to do a reply-to-list feature.
> Mutt supports this.

And as you point out below, mutt appears to be one of the few.  There is
at least one reason not to implement this, but that discussion always
leads to an off-topic flame war (except for when it is one something like
the listmanagers' list where it leads to an on-topic flame war.)

> For such a useful feature for a mail client, it seems most don't even
> support it.  :(

The short answer is that MUA developers are eager to support this as soon
as the List-* headers come a few steps closer to being standardized, with
an unambiguous semantics that will mean the same thing five years from now
as it does today.

But, this is really a topic for some other forum.  I will try to adapt to
the conventions of the list I'm one.

Cheers,

-j

--