[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Curran <lists at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  "Barry Mather" <barry dot mather at dorecentres dot com dot au>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] bridge building
 Date:  Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:26:10 +0100
Well, how big a list do you want?

For starters, unless you actually configure a WINS server, and configure the
PC's to use it in Hybrid mode (not the default) then every PC sqwauks some
netbios sh*te very few seconds, not to mention all the browser discovery and
announcements.  Then there is the fact that all windoze boxes time out their
ARP caches after around 4 minutes of inactivity, so there is a lot of ARPing.

Yes - all of this can be fixed, but it is there by default and my experience
(20 years+ in this IP game) is that 99.9% of people have the default setup.

Just plug ethereal into a network with a bunch of windoze boxes (especially if
you have the NT/ME/98 generation, or have migrated from it) and measure the
proportion of *cast traffic.  You may be unpleasantly surprised.

Peter

On Friday 08 October 2004 03:09, Barry Mather wrote:
> The only real things I can think of for broadcasts are  :
>
> WINS - eughhh
> Why use wins when dns is so easy ???
>
> Games - I had this problem when designing LARGE gaming networks in the
> uk (1500 nodes all for gaming) we ended up using fbsd as a udp
> forwarding box on each subnet, this works well and does not require
> broadcasts.
>
> Um, that's it I think ??
>
> Anyone else ?

believed to be clean.