[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brian Henry" <bhenry at ivytech dot edu>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Read Error when booting from and IDE hard disk (asked before, but that answer didn't work)
 Date:  Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:12:20 -0400
Here's the problem:
When installing monowall to the hard drive of an old Gateway computer.  It
boots perfectly on CD & floppy, but we'd rather it be on the hard disk (hda)
for longer term reliability than floppy can afford.  However, when we
install the generic-pc image to the hard drive, we get "Read Error" when we
boot.

Here's what I've tried:
I've tried three different gateways (we're an all gateway school here) of
varying specs, and even a smaller hard disk.  I've written the image using
the physdiskwrite utility under windows and by using Damn Small Linux to
write the image.  I've also set the disk information in the BIOS manually
and let it autodetect.  Every time I get the same error.

Any help is appreciated

Brian Henry
Instructional Technologies Assistant
Ivy Tech State College