[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark dot org>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridge to if and IP
 Date:  Sun, 10 Oct 2004 01:19:30 -0600
Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

>I am a bit perplexed by "bridge to interface".  What I would like to do
>is set up a bridge between WAN and OPT1 (and use LAN just for admin of
>the m0n0wall).  My understanding of a bridge is that neither side
>should actually have an IP address.  But at least the GUI is insisting
>that I give WAN an IP address or use DHCP or the like.
>
>I very strongly suspect that I have misunderstood what "bridge to
>interface" means.  Also, is there a way to do what I want.

Technically neither side of a bridge actually requires an IP, but in
m0n0wall's case an IP is probably required. simply because m0n0wall is
designed as a firewall and/or router, not a switch.

You could just assign 10.254.254.254 (or whatever is unlikely to be used
in your network) to m0n0wall, it probably won't hurt anything, although
the internal NTP and and upgrade checking features won't work.

--
Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place
in organized religion.