[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  Andrew Frazer <andrew dot frazer at sententia dot co dot nz>
 Cc:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal for networks that are routed to...
 Date:  Sun, 10 Oct 2004 03:46:13 -0700
Andrew,

> In this case I am not running any NAT, on either of Router X, or Y, or on
> Mono.. Just plain old boring straight routing.  In Sylikc's post from below,
> I imagine he is referring to where the router is doing NAT/PAT for all the
> hosts below it.  In that case, his comments would be correct. I have in fact
> ( by accident ), have tried that scenario, and the results suggested below
> are what I observed.

Well, right, I was thinking in NAT.  But as Mitch pointed out, even
without NAT, there would be many IPs and 1 MAC.  It's because of the
Layer3 routing that would obscure the the real MAC addresses of your
hosts from m0n0.  I wouldn't know why m0n0 would just bypass the hosts
on the other networks though (I don't have that many routers to play
with).

/sylikc