[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Philippe =?iso-8859-1?q?Cl=E9ri=E9?= <philippe at gcal dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Wireless inconsistencies
 Date:  Sat, 9 Oct 2004 07:12:29 -0500
Hello,

I am new to this list and before anything else I would like to
compliment the developers of m0n0wall for a very nice tool. The web GUI
is particularly impressive and easy to work with. Thanks.

Now to my little problem.

Hardware is Soekris 4511, with a Lucent 802.11b Orinoco PCMCIA card. WAN
is going to be the wireless card, connected to a dish antenna via
pigtail and a 30 feet low loss coax cable. The 4511 is replacing an old
IBM Aptiva Pentium 100 with Debian.

No problem getting m0n0wall up and running. Everything worked very
nicely when I connected to a Netgear wireless router. However, it
refuses to connect to the wireless WAN. The web interface shows 'No
carrier'.

I checked signal strength using the older box and it's -54dBm with
-87dBm noise. That's pretty decent, even if noise is usually much lower
than that.

Thanks for any help.

--
Best regards,