[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark dot org>
 To:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridge to if and IP
 Date:  Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:45:10 -0700
[mailed and posted]

On Oct 10, 2004, at 12:19 AM, Dave Warren wrote:

> Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
>> I would like to do is set up a bridge between WAN and OPT1 (and use
>> LAN just for admin of the m0n0wall).  My understanding of a bridge is
>> that neither side should actually have an IP address.  But at least
>> the GUI is insisting that I give WAN an IP address or use DHCP or the
>> like.

> You could just assign 10.254.254.254 (or whatever is unlikely to be
> used in your network) to m0n0wall,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it simply doesn't work.  I get no
on-line light on either end of the cable that goes from WAN on the box
in question to LAN side of my router.    status.php says no carrier on
that interface.

My router is m0n0 on a soekris 4501, and the box that I'm trying to set
up as a bridge is m0n0 on a soekris 4801.  (I'm testing setting up a
bridge).

> it probably won't hurt anything, although the internal NTP and and
> upgrade checking features won't work.

Good point.  I could always put use an NTP server that would be
reachable over the LAN (admin) interface.

The cables I've been trying with are NOT cross-over, but my
understanding is that the soekrises do automatic MDI/MDI-X detection.

The one thing I haven't done is simply test the 4801 in a normal
configuration.  So what I will do is put the uninteresting router
config on the 4801 and see if it works ... Yup.  It works with a
"normal" configuration so there isn't anything obviously wrong with the
if.

I don't actually need to set up a transparent bridge, but it would be
very very convenient.

-j

(PS:  You've got a great .sig}