[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Orman <david dot orman at orblivion dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  more questions concerning which platform to use / integrated wireless or AP
 Date:  Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:14:44 -1000
Hi,

	I have a few more questions. I am about to purchase the necessary
hardware in order to provide wireless to this entire state. I need some
input, however, on the hardware side of things now.

Option #1 - I pick up a 300mw wireless card that sits internally in the
machine, and run an external antenna.
Question: How stable are these machines with said setup? I've seen some
posts concerning users going into powersaving mode taking down the
entire wireless network. This would be unacceptable. :) I'm partial to
the 300mw card for range reasons, less machines means less cost to me.
If you have any suggestions about which platform to go with (The soe..
4511 or 4801 or WRAP or what) I would greatly appreciate it. The idea
is to have an ethernet WAN feed going to the box, which could be
located inside or outside (antenna can always be run out if necessary).
I looked at the WRAP which looked like the better deal, but didn't see
any options for casings. I'd like all of your inputs, as experience
counts for more than some specs from a sheet. Stability is my #1 goal.
Each location will be serviced by only a 1.5mbit line so I doubt
processing power will make too much of a difference.

Options #2 - I pick up a box w/ two ethernet inputs, one WAN and one to
an AP w/ external antenna support. I'd prefer #1, but if it isn't
stable, then this would be the option I'd choose.
Question: Any suggestions about what machine (45xx or 4801 or WRAP) and
which AP to get? Keep in mind this will be a deployment of hundreds of
machines. These choices are very important, I don't like throwing away
that much money. :)

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback you could give me. :)

Take care all,
David Orman