[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Louis <m0n0 dot ch at hourfollowshour dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Am I encrypted? (PPTP over OPT1 Wireless)
 Date:  Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:51:25 -0400
I am connecting wirelessly to my Soekris 4521 wireless OPT1 interface
from my laptop (Fedora Core 2).

I then connect using PPTP [http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/], I
configure it to point to my 'external' WAN IP address.  Everything seems
to work fine.  I know I am going through the PPTP interface because I
have full external connectivity.  If I just connect to wirelessly
without using the PPTP client I see only connections that I have allows
for in the firewall rules for the OPT1 interface.

I don't have another wireless client available at the moment to sniff
traffic, but I want to be sure traffic is really encrypted over the PPTP
tunnel, based on the above info, is it?  Am I following the right
procedure above or can/should I be doing something different or better?

Wireless Client netstat -rn below:
# netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
my.ext.ip.here UGH       0 0          0 ath0 UH        0 0          0
ppp0     U         0 0          0
ath0       U         0 0          0
ath0         U         0 0          0