[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Louis <m0n0 dot ch at hourfollowshour dot org>
 To:  Chet Harvey <chet at pittech dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Am I encrypted? (PPTP over OPT1 Wireless)
 Date:  Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:14:58 -0400
Chet,

Thanks for your response.  I am using PPTP over wireless on an open non
WEP/WPA hotspot, the idea is that I want to offer an open hotspot for
neighbors and cafe goers but still encrypt my connection (or anyone else
who e-mails me that wants security).

I realize most people say IPSec is 'better'; I'll have to do some
searches to see the issues with PPTP (other then it being a MS
creation), I of course don't want to use something that can be hacked in
an hour -- will do more research online regarding PPTP security though I
imagine it is relatively secure or folks wouldn't have it in m0n0wall to
begin with.

Can anyone tell me why PPTP is 'bad' or less secure then IPSec?

I'm glad to hear you think its secure over the air, I'm going to have to
locate another wireless laptop and sniff the connection for that added
self-verification that will make me sleep better at night ;).

Louis