[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chet Harvey <chet at pittech dot com>
 To:  Louis <m0n0 dot ch at hourfollowshour dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Am I encrypted? (PPTP over OPT1 Wireless)
 Date:  Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:54:42 -0400
The downside to IPSec in a Windows world is there arent many (or any) free
IPSec client utils. PPTP works outta the box so it makes life simple.

Since this is for a HotSpot, PPTP would be the least intrusive on your users.

As for PPTP vs IPSec:

MS-CHAPv2 is encrypted by the lower layer IPsec tunnel. The IPsec tunnel is
securely authenticated using IKE. MS-CHAP had a history of being easily
(relative term here) cracked. The "shared secret" or certificate use of IPSec
is considered much stronger.

That said, the use of complicated, long passwords should alleviate some fear.

Chet Harvey
Protecting your Digital Assets
703.407.7311