[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <pmok at optushome dot com dot au>
 To:  "Jay Binks" <jaybinks at insomniacmediaproductions dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE : Problems with bigpond
 Date:  Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:38:40 +1000
Hmmm...OK, similar config as my ones.

A few suggestions.

(1) Try if you can, use the Telstra login on a PC behind the firewall,
disable the one at M0n0Wall. ( open up the necessary ports for Telstra
Login, "Heartbeat" ).We want to rule out the firewall's BPA login as a
problem.

If it logs in fine for more than 10min using a login from behind the
firewall
and not at the firewall, then something must have screwed up somewhere.

(2) Check if the RAM or NIC on the firewall PC isn't on the verge of dying.
Sometimes that happens and its a bit of a doozy to figure out. (Its like if
you
stick too many things on the power supply and Windows 2000/XP throws up
a Kernel-related BSOD...It gives you nothing helpful!)

You can download memory diagnostic apps where it creates a boot disk
(floppy)
for you. You boot up and let it run some thorough tests.

I'm not sure about NICs as I use Intel ones, they provide diagnostic
software that
allow you to check if the NIC isn't failing. (I put both NICs on a Windows
setup,
connect them to each other via cross-over network cable and run tests and
such).

You need to do a bit of googling to find the free software (
www.google.com.au )

(3) You can also look for any errors when M0n0Wall is booting up. Sometimes
it
may bootup too fast...Once it booted up, press "Scroll Lock" on the keyboard
and
use arrow keys to look through if M0n0wall show any errors when booting up.

Also, this info can be found on the status section when you log into the
firewall via
browser.

In a web browser, you can enter :
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/status.php or https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/status.php
( where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is IP of the firewall. )

(4) In the WebGUI, under  " Interfaces: WAN " is all your settings under
" BigPond Cable configuration " default? You may have to specify some
certain
things.

If you want specifics, head over to http://www.ozcableguy.com/ on the left
hand
side, they have FAQs and Guides, read those that are related to the entries
on
M0n0Wall.

Other than the above, I can't really think of any more to test.

Regards
-Stmok