[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 Cc:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive with IMAP
 Date:  Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:38:51 +0800
On 29/09/2004 07:40 Mitch (WebCob) said the following:
>>In that situation, the user database Dinesh discussed is exactly
>>what they need.
>
> I prefer that idea... just think it has to be on par with comparable
> services (user capacity wise) or else we lose users... As an individual,

my concern with the capacity of the user db is that m0n0wall is usually run
on soekris boxes and those do not have the capacity which a full fledged
PC/server would. in addition, each of the username/password pairs would
need to be stored in config.xml which then has to be synced with the CF
card on _every_ change. this would mean that the webGUI performance will
start to suffer as the number of users in the builtin db increases. i had
initially suggested a max of 16 to address this problem.

however, what i'll do now is to make this max number of users a
configurable parameter but m0n0wall users need to be warned that a large
number of users in the builtin db will affect webGUI performance adversely.
somehow, as a developer, i feel i have a responsibility to not give users
the tools they can shoot themselves in the foot with.