[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <pmok at optushome dot com dot au>
 To:  "Roberto Pereyra" <rjpereyra at gualeguaychu dot gov dot ar>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can I use 2 upstream providers?
 Date:  Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:45:31 +1000
Eerr...OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and Linux can all do it.

Here is a link to a thread I created in an Australian Forum.
I've gathered all the useful info on "load balancing" I can dig up.
(Its info a can use for implementing...It ain't talk, its links to code.)
=> http://forums.techwatch.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=3626

I know a proper "load balancing" router is alot more hardwork
(The above are very primitive), I'm hoping one can borrow ideas
from the Linksys RV016 Multi-WAN router.
(up to 7 ports on WAN, it has a total of 16 ports)
=> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=624

Linksys uses Linux for its OS in routers, and it looks like they offer
the source as part of GPL.
=> http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp

Maybe we can get some initial ideas from that. Use it as a basis for
M0n0Wall's Dual or even Multi-WAN capability?
(I bet quite a few small businesses like this idea, low cost Multi-WAN
router that can be built with spare PC bits lying around).

If you're curious another example of commercial dual WAN routers
=> http://www.netcomm.com.au/Routers/routers.php#NB740
=> http://www.xincom.com/twr502.html
Note : The NetComm one is the Xincom one in a NetComm badge!

In fact, NetComm is SOOO lazy, they won't even bother modifying
the firmware to add Telstra Login Client for Australian's using Telstra
Cable! So you have to setup another PC or embedded system just
for the BPA Client! LAME!

Once I get done with my project at Uni, I'm gonna help add load
balancing into M0n0Wall just to "upstage" those companies charging
$400 Aussie Dollars (about $200 US) for a router that requires another,
just to log in to Telstra!

Regards
-Stmok