[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Gordon Day <gordon at deepcovelabs dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] BUG: config.xml <servernat> section not processed?
 Date:  Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:06:04 +0200
On 12.10.2004 22:53 -0700, Gordon Day wrote:

> I have been evaluating CD-ROM release 1.1 of M0n0wall and have
> discovered by direct experience and by trolling the mailing list
> that while m0n0 correctly reflects Server NAT entries in the GUI,
> they don't seem to have any effect on the underlying operating
> system.  For example:

That's perfectly normal - the only purpose of server NAT is to define
additional IP addresses for inbound NAT. It doesn't add any IP
aliasing, as that is not needed in most cases (when people have
routed subnets or use PPPoE/PPTP on WAN). For other cases, there's
proxy ARP, which is better than IP aliasing. See
<http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/faq-ipalias.html>.

- Manuel