[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  Jean Everson Martina <everson at inf dot ufsc dot br>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive with IMAP
 Date:  Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:22:09 -0700
Jean,

>         I'm replying this message cause I fully desagree with the statement
> that m0n0 whould not evolve with new and very usefull things just cause
> people use it inside soekris or wrap boards.
>         I personally use it in most cases within wrap boards, but I have some
> cases where I run mono inside Dual Xeon 2.8 - 4 Gb RAM. Why we can not
> have this stuff in m0n0, but disabled? if you choose to run m0n0 inside
> a SBC board, no problem, just keep this features disabled, but if you
> have machine power why not?

Wow, I think you're one of the few that would run m0n0 on a Xeon, much
less a dual Xeon with 4G of RAM.  Sheesh... How much RAM does your
modded m0n0 use in that environment?  I can't get my base m0n0 to use
any more than 47MB ;)

>         the problem may be the U$3,00 plus to go from a 32MB CF to a 64MB? I
> don't think so. Or may have more RAM, but this is a real problem?
>         I developed lots of stuff to m0n0 in the last 3 months, but I gave up
> to post here, cause the answer is allways the same: "Bullshit, m0n0
> isn't developed for this purpose". Among this things I have squid
> integration in 1.2b1, snort integration in 1.2b1, database support for
> logging purposes, an even the internationalization. All of them ( don't
> really think this ) too heavy for SBC boards, but not to the PC case.

I think m0n0's design goal started from gearing towards embedded, and
the main developers continue their work geared towards an embedded
platform.  This has, for the most part kept the m0n0 distro small and
the core requirements as lean as possible.

We should get another list going, called the "m0n0 for full power PC"
list, where people share their mods in patching up m0n0 with the
latest squid or snort.  There's always a few posts every here and
there about integrating some full powered package into m0n0.  I can
see how the main distribution branch of m0n0 might not want to have
this complication as m0n0 serves it's purpose quite well in its
current minimalistic form.  However, a new list where all the PC
developers coming together might just end up being a branch of
m0n0wall.

I, personally would be quite interested to see your patches for squid,
snort, and full database logging capabilities.  (I'm sure others would
too, seeing as there were posts earlier about it).  I've seen other
commercial solutions out there that aren't half as feature rich as
m0n0 but just happen to have extensive logging and proxy support where
I've had to recommend it to a client while I would have much rather
implemented a m0n0wall instead.  On my own m0n0, I could make use of
the database logging capabilities, although I already do remote
logging to a Win2K box running KiwiSyslog daemon.

/sylikc