[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Full PC m0n0 - was Re: [m0n0wall] Captive with IMAP
 Date:  Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:30:44 +0800
On 16/10/2004 10:14 Jean Everson Martina said the following:
> Easy, what is needed is a systcl configuration and a kernel rebuild,
> even to work with SMP. In this machines I also have 4 Gigabit interfaces

the issue here is that a large majority of m0n0 users would not be able to
do what you're able to do. the development efforts of m0n0, as already
stated, are towards an embedded firewall type implementation. of course,
this doesn't preclude it being used on other systems thru work done by
others, yourself for example. this just adds to the value of m0n0 and
doesn't detract from it.

> The other thing is that every single patch I wrote to m0n0 was
> discarded(ignored, not even commented), even those ones that had not the

which could possible mean that there was nothing wrong with it ? :) a lot
of us are busy on a whole lot of other stuff, and may not be able to
answer/respond to every thing on this mailing list. i've just spent 3 hours
catching up on over 800 m0n0wall messages after being away for 10 days.

> One thing that can really stop this problems is m0n0 having a WELL
> DEFINED API to integrate modules, like a new feture in menu to upload
> modules. I was figuring out about how to do this, and I can say that it

m0n0 already does have a basic framework for adding in third party modules,
though one would need to be able to generate the CF images for that to work
well. if this is insufficient, then by all means start work on getting this
up to speed. as you say, this will greatly enhance third party module
development for m0n0 and indirectly allow your m0n0patches project to
flourish.